Monday, January 18, 2010

oven-roasted root vegetables

As strange as it may sound, I had never heard the term "root vegetable" used in any sort of dish until I moved to the UK. I knew certain foods were root vegetables, but I'd always heard them referred to by their individual names when it came to things I actually ate. Recently, I've fallen for root vegetables, especially in dishes where I can mix them together. This dish is a relatively simple one, once you take the time to prepare each of the veggies. I'm particularly slow at chopping and peeling (call it "careful" and "meticulous"), which is the main reason I never truly thought about becoming a chef. I'd have to move directly to the point in my career where I would have someone to do my chopping for me and presented as a mise en place; I never want to be the person responsible for someone else's.

Ingredients:
Cooking spray (or oil for greasing)
3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 rutabega, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
2 cups whole baby carrots
2 medium red onions, each cut into 8 wedges
1 pound celery root (celeriac), peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or thyme
5 cloves garlic, cut into thin slices
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon olive oil

Hardware:
oven
large roasting pan (or shallow baking sheet)
metal spoon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C. Spray to grease the roasting pan.

Add potatoes, rutabega, carrots, onions, celery, parsnips, rosemary, garlic, and olive oil to the pan and stir together. Place into the oven and roast for 30 minutes.

Remove the vegetables from the oven. Pour the vegetable broth over the vegetables and stir to coat. Return to the oven and roast for an additional 20 minutes (or until the vegetables are all fork-tender).

No comments:

Post a Comment